Friday, September 26, 2008

A letter to my younger self


Dear Kaz

I’m writing to you as your future self, as the girl you are going to evolve into next year. You are about to begin the most exciting journey of your life, and it all starts on the road to independence. You have always been wise beyond your years and have yearned for the opportunity to spread your wings and fly to your highest aspirations, but were warned by your parents that it’s a “big bad world out there that you aren’t quite ready for”. Well guess what? that “big bad world” is not all bad and comes with all sorts of perks and pleasures, but maybe Mom and Dad were right to assume that it might initially come as a shock, as you have had many “firsts” this year and some tough and stressful experiences as well, and that is why I am writing to you- in an attempt to prepare you for what is to come. This year has definitely been a rollercoaster ride, so hop on but don’t forget to fasten that safety belt!

You never did waste any time here and you proved that when you accidently ended up landing a job as the new, hot DJ in town- in your very first week of Varsity! Wow! Awesome! You always wanted fame and there was your stage! In that same week you succeeded in dying all your white clothes pink in the wash, getting a reputation as a ditsy blonde, found out that people actually can run out of money, and met some of the greatest people and friends this planet has to offer.

Sadly the DJ job only lasted for 3 months as you soon realised that you were here for a degree and that playing “the golden oldies” at 3am in the morning on a weekday to drunken disorderly disco dancers was not exactly educational. But still, the experience was fun while it lasted, and so was your first year of freedom.

Keep well and good luck
LOVE ME (a.k.a "you" ;) )

3 comments:

Lauren Bekker said...

I completely understand where you are coming from- there are so many "firsts" when you first come to Rhodes and no-ones advice can sufficiently prepare you (or like me maybe you just didn't listen. I'm really glad you feel you've made amazing friends, even though many I've made have turned out to be not-so-amazing! Hopefully yours stay that way :). I agree, fasten that safety belt, but enjoy the freedom!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the whole "big bad world" speech u got, but I think Its important for us to learn how to live in the real world- even if that may mean dyin' all our clothes pink because we always had our mommy's do it for us before and being horribly broke. Enjoyed reading ur post...

Mpho :) said...

After reading this letter I was reminded of the emotions and worries that were part of my journey when I arrived here at Rhodes. This letter helped me conjure up those emotions and although my letter did not focus on the emotional side of coming to Rhodes and the struggles we’ve faced since then (like many of the letters have). In my letter I chose to focus on one aspect of the rhodent lifestyle which everyone becomes accustomed to when arriving here, rather than the general view of how one feels when they arrive here. By focussing on issues such as academics and the social life at Rhodes I tried to pave a way for my younger self so that she could choose the kind of lifestyle she would adopt when she got here. The letter to Kaz seems to focus on the emotional side of first year experience; I found it ineffective because compared to my own she seemed to be focussing on what had occurred in the first semester of the year, while I was focussed on the social transition from high school to varsity with an emphasis on social and sporting life.

Mpho :)
http://www.balancingbeams.blogspot.com

Its UUUUGLY!!!

Its UUUUGLY!!!